Tennis News

From around the world

Kyrgios mimics Nadal in four-set win

  • Posted: Jan 23, 2020
2020 Australian Open
Venue: Melbourne Park Dates: 20 January to 2 February
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and online; Live text on selected matches on the BBC Sport website and app.

Nick Kyrgios reached the Australian Open third round by beating Gilles Simon, with both players mimicking Rafael Nadal’s service routine.

Both he and Frenchman Simon copied the Spaniard’s routine after they were given time violations, and Kyrgios has previously criticised Nadal for the time he takes between points

The two could meet in the fourth round.

“There weren’t any extracurricular activities I was doing before my serve to waste time,” Kyrgios said.

The Australian has previously described Nadal as “super salty”.

Asked whose impression was better, Kyrgios replied: “I don’t wear underwear, so probably Gilles’.”

When asked about the incident, Nadal said: “Honestly, I don’t care at all. If was funny, good. That’s it.”

Nadal was irritated when Kyrgios served underarm in their meeting in Acapulco last year and has previously said the 24-year-old “lacks respect”.

World number one Nadal, who beat Argentina’s Federico Delbonis in straight sets on Thursday, has a 4-3 head-to-head lead over Kyrgios, but the Australian leads 2-1 on hard courts.

Kyrgios, the 23rd seed, said he was not thinking about the rest of the tournament or who he could meet in future rounds.

  • Thiem & Khachanov come through five-set battles
  • Dart & Watson out as British singles interests end
  • Play delayed on outside courts by dust and mud

‘I could have gone to a very dark place’

The Australian appeared on course for a swift victory, breaking his 61st-ranked opponent at the start of each set and leading 4-2 in the third.

However, Simon hit back to win four games in a row before Kyrgios, lifted by the packed crowd, found the decisive break late in the fourth set.

“I could have gone to a very dark place in the fourth set but I put it away,” Kyrgios said.

“I definitely lost my way a little bit. It would have been very interesting if it went to a fifth set.”

Kyrgios also apologised to his player box, saying it was “not acceptable” for him to take out his third-set frustrations on them.

“I apologised as soon as I went back into the locker room. They don’t deserve that,” he said.

“They do a lot of things for me on and off the court.”

Kyrgios hit 28 aces against Simon and will donate A$200 for each one to the bushfire appeal.

Legendary former player John McEnroe has also said he will contribute A$1,000 to the appeal for each set Kyrgios wins in the tournament.

Kyrgios will face Russian 16th seed Karen Khachanov next.

  • Live scores, schedule and results
  • Alerts: Get tennis news sent to your phone

Source link

Sealed With A Kiss, Nadal's 'Scary Moment'

  • Posted: Jan 23, 2020

Sealed With A Kiss, Nadal’s ‘Scary Moment’

Spanish superstar comforts ball girl

For one poor ball girl on Thursday night, the sight of Rafael Nadal’s fearsome forehand will be something she won’t forget in a hurry.

At 4-1 up in the third set, Nadal returned a forehand down the line, but wide, with Federico Delbonis serving at 15/40.

Hearing a line judge call ‘Out’ on the first serve, a ball girl stepped out from beside the umpires chair, only to be hit straight on the side of her head by Nadal’s wayward return.

Ouch, that’s gotta hurt!

Nadal immediately rushed to check if she was okay, kissed her on the cheek, and after his 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-1 victory for a place in the Australian Open third round, handed the ball girl a headband by way of apology.

“For her, it was probably not a good moment,” said Nadal. “The ball was quick and straight onto her head. She is a super-brave girl.”

When asked by on-court interviewer Samuel Groth about the kiss, the former Australian pro told Nadal, “Don’t worry about your wife for a second…”

Nadal smiled, saying, “Probably after 15 years she (my wife) doesn’t care much.

“It was one of my most scary moments that I had on the tennis court, as the ball went straight onto her head. I had a moment at Wimbledon a long time ago.”

Nadal was presented with the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the third time (also 2010 and 2018) during the ATP Cup in Perth two weeks ago.

Watch Live

Source link

Stan Survives Seppi In Five Sets

  • Posted: Jan 23, 2020

Stan Survives Seppi In Five Sets

Swiss next meets American John Isner

Stan Wawrinka turned a near calamity into a fighting five-set win over Andreas Seppi on Friday to return to the Australian Open third round for the first time in three years.

Wawrinka littered up the stats sheet with 34 unforced errors in the first two sets (65 for the match) but came up clutch at two critical junctures of the match. When Seppi served for a two-sets lead at 5-4 in the second set, Wawrinka broke to get back into the match. And from being down a break at 3-4 in the fifth, the former World No. 3 claimed back-to-back breaks to close out the match 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 in three hours, 38 minutes.

“It was a tough five-setter that could have gone either way,” he said on court after the match. “I kept fighting and I’m super happy to get through.”

The 2014 champion at Melbourne Park next meets John Isner, who has fired 78 aces in his first two matches. Wawrinka trails the 6’ 10” American 1-3 in their ATP Head2Head.

The Swiss, who also needed four sets to top Damir Dzumhur in the first round, claimed his fifth consecutive win over Seppi, remaining perfect in nine hard-court meetings against the 35-year-old, who has reached the Australian Open four times during his career.

Wawrinka has rallied back to No. 15 in the FedEx ATP Rankings, but is still searching for his first title since winning on home soil in Geneva midway through the 2017 season.

Source link

Australian Open: Joe Salisbury beats fellow Briton Dan Evans in doubles

  • Posted: Jan 23, 2020
2020 Australian Open
Venue: Melbourne Park Dates: 20 January to 2 February
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and online; Live text on selected matches on the BBC Sport website and app.

Joe Salisbury got the better of fellow Briton Dan Evans as he progressed to the second round of the Australian Open men’s doubles alongside Rajeev Ram.

Salisbury and American Ram, the 11th seeds, beat Evans and Australian John-Patrick Smith 6-1 7-6 (7-3).

Britain’s Luke Bambridge and Japanese partner Ben McLachlan lost 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 to Bruno Soares and Mate Pavic.

Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski’s opening match was postponed until Friday due to courts needing to be cleaned.

Play was delayed on the outside courts because they had to be power-washed after dust and mud fell with the rain in a storm in Melbourne on Wednesday.

  • Live scores, schedule and results
  • Alerts: Get tennis news sent to your phone

Source link

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Bolt One Set Away From Thiem Upset

  • Posted: Jan 23, 2020

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Bolt One Set Away From Thiem Upset

Wild card leads fifth seed on Thursday

Alex Bolt is giving the home fans plenty to cheer about at the Australian Open on Thursday. The Aussie wild card is one set away from a shocking upset over fifth-seeded Austrian Dominic Thiem and leads 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(5) in their second-round battle.

Bolt’s level of play Down Under doesn’t reflect his FedEx ATP Ranking of No. 140. He reached the third round last year in Melbourne and advanced to his maiden ATP Tour quarter-final last week in Adelaide. Five of his seven tour-level wins have come on home soil.

Watch Live

But facing a Top 5 player is a much different proposition. Thiem was ready for the challenge and immediately broke Bolt in the opening game of the match. Striking his backhand with authority and controlling the baseline exchanges, he scored an insurance break at 4-2 and comfortably took the opening set.

The second set demonstrated how momentum can shift within mere minutes. Thiem served for the set at 5-4, but Bolt finally gave the Melbourne Arena crowd a chance to get involved. Charging the net behind aggressive approaches to knock off winning volleys, he broke Thiem and the crowd let out a roar of approval. Two games later, a forehand error from the Austrian tied up the match and completed a remarkable 10-minute turnaround.

Watch Live

Bolt continue to take advantage of Thiem standing well behind the baseline by hitting short angles and making timely trips to the net. The flair in his shotmaking reached dizzying heights at 4-4 in the third set, with an around-the-post forehand winner just inches above the court allowing the Aussie to hold serve and bringing the crowd to their feet.

You May Also Like:

Medvedev Overcomes Rain, Nosebleeds, And Martinez

The set moved to a tie-break and it was Bolt who struck first by cracking a big forehand return for a 2/0 mini-break lead. The wild card’s nerves were tested when he took a 6/2 lead and let slip his first three set points, but an ace on his fourth chance whipped the crowd into a frenzy as he grabbed a commanding advantage.

More to come…

Source link