Tennis News

From around the world

Korda upsets Ruud, returns to Delray Beach SFs

  • Posted: Feb 21, 2026

Sebastian Korda held his nerve on Saturday at the Delray Beach Open, delivering a composed performance to upset second seed Casper Ruud 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.

With his two-hour, six-minute win over the Norwegian, the American advanced to his first semi-final at the tournament since 2021.

“I tried battling as much as I could,” Korda said. “Luckily, I found some form and started playing really well after that [first set].”

After an error-strewn opening set in which he hit 17 unforced errors, Korda took control of the match in the second set. He swung the momentum with a gutsy break at 3-2, fighting back from 40/0 on Ruud’s serve. He claimed another break in the eighth game, clinching the set emphatically with a forehand return winner. In the third set, he secured an early break with a stunning volley and finished having won 24 of 29 points at the net. The 25-year-old fired 10 aces and won 72 per cent (34/47) of his first-serve points according to ATP Infosys Stats.

The American will face third seed Flavio Cobolli for a place in the final. Cobolli defeated Coleman Wong 7-5, 6-7(7), 6-2 in two hours and 14 minutes to deny the 21-year-old his first tour-level semi-final.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Shelton withdraws from Acapulco

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Ben Shelton has withdrawn from the Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC to focus on recovery, the tournament announced Friday.

The lefty won his first title of the season last week in Dallas, where he defeated fellow American Taylor Fritz in the ATP 500 final. According to the Acapulco tournament’s announcement, Shelton experienced discomfort in his quadriceps, leading to his decision to withdraw from the Mexican ATP 500 event.

The 23-year-old is off to a quick start in 2026, having made the quarter-finals in Auckland, the quarter-finals at the Australian Open and lifted the trophy in Dallas. He is 10-2 this season, according to the Infosys ATP Win/Loss Index.

The No. 9 player in the PIF ATP Rankings has previously competed in Acapulco three times, with his best result coming in 2024, when he advanced to the quarter-finals before losing to Casper Ruud in three sets.

The Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC main draw begins Monday. Learn all you need to know about the Acapulco tournament, including information on the draw, schedule, history and more.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Alcaraz converts 6th MP to sink Rublev, reach Doha final

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Carlos Alcaraz’s mental resolve was heavily tested by defending champion Andrey Rublev on Friday at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open, but the top seed ultimately found a way through, converting his sixth match point to seal a dramatic passage into the final.

The No. 1 player in the PIF ATP Rankings battled for a gripping 7-6(3), 6-4 victory under the lights in Doha to extend his perfect start to 2026 to 11 matches. Although he twice failed to serve out the opening set and saw a 3-0 lead in the second quickly erased, Alcaraz remained steady under pressure to advance to the Qatari ATP 500 final for the first time after two hours, two minutes.

“I know what I am able to do every time I step on the court, what I am capable of doing,” Alcaraz said when asked if he is ever amazed by himself. “The way that I am approaching every match, I’m just really proud about it. It’s something I am trying to be better at and it’s paying off. I’m proud of myself [for] getting better and maturing.”

Awaiting Alcaraz in Saturday’s final will be sixth seed and 2024 finalist Jakub Mensik — who defeated World No. 1 Jannik Sinner on Thursday — or France’s Arthur Fils. With his semi-final victory, Alcaraz stretched his Lexus ATP Head2Head lead over two-time Doha champion Rublev to 5-1.

Since capturing the Australian Open crown in January to become the youngest man to complete the Career Grand Slam, the 22-year-old Alcaraz has played with assurance, but his path in Doha has required persistence. After rallying past former champion Karen Khachanov in three sets in the quarter-finals, the top seed faced more challenges against Rublev.

“If you want to find a solution to a problem, you should find it in a calm place,” Alcaraz said. “It’s something I am working on. When I am playing and getting mad, seeing I’m not at my best, I just get frustrated. That is not the place you will find solutions. In these matches, I have been really calm, thinking clearly and being positive. It’s in those places where you can find the solutions to a problem.”

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Heliovaara & Patten turn tide in rivalry vs. Cash & Glasspool with Doha title

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Harri Heliovaara and Henry Patten are beginning to turn the tide in their Lexus ATP Head2Head rivalry with Julian Cash and Lloyd Glasspool, following a composed championship-match victory at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open on Friday.

The third-seeded Heliovaara and Patten completed a spotless run to the ATP 500 title in Doha with a 6-3, 6-3 win over the top-seeded defending champions. Also winners in Adelaide, they became the second team to win multiple titles this season, joining Montpellier and Dallas champions Theo Arribage and Albano Olivetti.

After losing their first four meetings against Cash and Glasspool, Heliovaara and Patten have now reduced the deficit to 2-4 in their Lexus ATP Head2Head series. They also defeated the top seeds in the ATP Masters 1000 final in Paris in October.

“We finished the end of 2025 really strong and just to keep that form in 2026, it’s been a dream six months for us,” said Heliovaara, who won his maiden Nitto ATP Finals trophy with Patten in November. “With Henry, it’s always lovely to play. I had my family here in Doha this week — my wife and two kids — so it’s always special to travel with them.”

Heliovaara and Patten saved all seven break points they faced in the 69-minute final, according to Infosys ATP Stats. They are now up eight spots to No. 5 in the PIF ATP Live Doubles Teams Rankings, continuing their strong start to the season.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Tien rallies to shock defending champ in Delray Beach: 'I just kept believing'

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Learner Tien was not ready for his Delray Beach Open to come to an end.

The 20-year-old was two points from defeat against defending champion Miomir Kecmanovic — who served for the match at 5-4 in the deciding set — but rallied for a 6-4, 6-7(4), 7-6(5) victory and a place in the quarter-finals.

“I just kept believing,” Tien said in his on-court interview. “I got broken on kind of a bad game at four all, but just tried to put that behind me as best I could, and just made him beat me.”

Kecmanovic showed no signs of nerves when he served for the match, hammering away from the baseline and putting consistent pressure on the home favourite. But Tien played great defence, turning into a brick wall at the most critical moment.

Once the reigning Next Gen ATP Finals champion retrieved the break, he was able to surge to the finish line and take a 2-1 lead in the pair’s Lexus ATP Head2Head series.

“I got a little lucky. I think luck always plays a little bit of a role,” Tien said. “But I think just fighting, just staying in there every point, and really making him close me out, I think [that] just paid off.”

Tien is fresh off a run to the quarter-finals of the Australian Open, where he beat a former No. 1 player in the PIF ATP Rankings, Daniil Medvedev, and pushed Alexander Zverev to a fourth-set tie-break. The lefty will next take on Frances Tiafoe, who won the first ATP Tour title of his career in Delray Beach in 2018.

“I played him in the first round of the [US] Open a few years ago. Obviously he’s a totally different player,” Tiafoe said. “I’m excited to get up and play him. It’s funny how things turn. Now I’m the underdog in that match, so I’m happy to get out there and play against him.”

The eighth-seeded Tiafoe clawed past qualifier Zachary Svajda 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 to reach his first quarter-final since July of last year.

“I’m just happy to be competing. It feels good competing,” Tiafoe said. “It’s nice to put some matches together. Happy I get to play another match tomorrow. It’s going to be another tough opponent, so excited to get out there and compete.”

[NO 1 CLUB]

Top seed Taylor Fritz also battled through a tough test, eliminating #NextGenATP Spaniard Rafael Jodar 7-6(4), 6-4 in the last match of the day. The home favourite hit 15 aces and saved two of the three break points he faced, according to Infosys ATP Stats.

Fritz has shown good form since returning to the United States, advancing to the Dallas semi-finals last week. The 2023 and 2024 Delray Beach champion will continue his title chase against close friend Tommy Paul, a 7-6(11), 6-3 winner against lucky loser Adam Walton.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Buse upsets Fonseca in Rio de Janeiro

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Ignacio Buse spoiled Joao Fonseca’s pursuit of home glory at the Rio Open presented by Claro on Thursday when he upset the Brazilian 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 in the second round.

Despite losing the first set in the pair’s maiden Lexus ATP Head2Head meeting, Buse eventually capitalised on Fonseca’s 43 unforced errors to triumph in a two-hour, 26-minute battle. With the victory, he became the first Peruvian to reach an ATP 500 quarter-final since the series was introduced in 2009.

“Today was a really difficult match,” Buse said. “We all know the potential that Joao has. We are really close friends. So that was also hard today.”

One year ago, Buse was No. 230 in the PIF ATP Rankings. Now the 21-year-old is at a career-high No. 91 and on the rise.

“I tried to deal with the pressure the best that I can,” Buse said. “I did it well today. And next time if I do it bad, I will learn and try to do it better.”

In a match delayed by an hour due to rain, Buse kept his composure under pressure. He crucially saved eight of the nine break points he faced, including three in the opening game of the second set and three at 4-3 in the third set, according to Infosys ATP Stats. The Peruvian fired his eighth ace to complete the upset and advance to the biggest quarter-final of his career, in which he will face Matteo Berrettini.

Berrettini also earned a hard-fought three-set win in the second round, defeating Dusan Lajovic 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 in two hours and nine minutes. With the win, the Italian reached his first tour-level quarter-final on clay since claiming his last title in Kitzbuhel in 2024.

[NO 1 CLUB]

In other action, eighth seed Tomas Martin Etcheverry advanced to the last eight with a 7-6(1), 6-4 win over Lithuanian qualifier Vilius Gaubas, who was aiming to reach his first tour-level quarter-final.

Etcheverry was forced to navigate late drama in the second set when he missed a match point on Gaubas’ serve while leading 5-2. The Argentine then stepped up to serve for the match, but rain suspended play before he could seal the win. Upon returning to the court, he was broken, but immediately responded by breaking Gaubas back to triumph.

With his two-hour, seven-minute victory, the Argentine is up to No. 44 in the PIF ATP Live Rankings, securing a return to the Top 50 for the first time since April last year. Etcheverry will next meet lucky loser Jaime Faria.

The Portuguese player, who defeated two-time defending champion Sebastian Baez in the first round for the biggest win of career, beat Damir Dzumhur 7-6(1), 6-4 in two hours and three minutes to reach the quarter-finals.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

Putting Sinner's Doha defeat in perspective: The numbers behind his consistency

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

Losses have been rare for Jannik Sinner in recent years. That is why when the Italian does fall short, it grabs plenty of people’s attention.

Jakub Mensik, last year’s Miami champion, upset the No. 2 player in the PIF ATP Rankings 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-3 Thursday in the Qatar ExxonMobil Open quarter-finals. This was straight off the back of a semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open.

It had been a year and a half since Sinner lost before the final at two consecutive tournaments. It last happened in 2024 at Wimbledon and at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Montreal (both quarter-finals).

Sinner is now 138-14 since the start of the 2024 season, according to the Infosys ATP Win/Loss Index, giving him an astonishing 90.8 winning percentage during that period. For context, Novak Djokovic owns the best tour-level winning percentage on record at 83.3 per cent.

Since Sinner lost in the Montreal quarter-finals in 2024, he has played 19 tournaments and made the final in 15 of them, lifting 10 trophies. His five championship-match defeats came against Carlos Alcaraz.

So while Sinner has now lost in consecutive events before the final, that speaks to his consistency in recent years. Mensik will play Arthur Fils Friday for a place in the Doha final.

[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

2026 Acapulco tennis prize money

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

The Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC in Acapulco, Mexico, which this year runs from 23-28 February, has announced a prize money total of $2,469,450 for the 2026 edition.

The singles champion will earn $461,835. The winning doubles team will split $151,690.

View the full prize-money breakdown and the PIF ATP Rankings points at stake below.

[ATP APP]

2026 Acapulco Singles Prize Money

Rounds  Points  Prize Money 
 Winner  500  $461,835 
 Finalist  330  $248,480
 Semi-finalist  200  $132,425
 Quarter-finalist  100  $67,655
 Round of 16  50  $36,115
Round of 32   0  $19,260

2026 Acapulco Doubles Prize Money (per team)

 Rounds Points  Prize Money 
 Winner 500   $151,690
 Finalist 300  $80,900
 Semi-finalist  180  $54,880
 Quarter-finalist  90  $40,930
 Round of 16  0  $10,590
[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link

2026 Dubai tennis prize money

  • Posted: Feb 20, 2026

The Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships in Dubai, UAE, which this year runs from 23-28 February, has announced a prize money total of $3,311,005 for the 2026 edition.

The singles champion will earn $619,160. The winning doubles team will split $203,390.

View the full prize-money breakdown and the PIF ATP Rankings points at stake below.

[ATP APP]

2026 Dubai Singles Prize Money

Rounds  Points  Prize Money 
 Winner  500  $619,160
 Finalist  330  $333,160
 Semi-finalist  200  $175,555
 Quarter-finalist  100  $90,710
 Round of 16  50  $48,420
Round of 32   0  $25,825

2026 Dubai Doubles Prize Money (per team)

 Rounds Points  Prize Money 
 Winner 500   $203,390
 Finalist 300  $108,470
 Semi-finalist  180  $54,880
 Quarter-finalist  90  $27,450
 Round of 16  0  $14,200
[NEWSLETTER FORM]

Source link