Tennis News

From around the world

Tsitsipas Sets Blockbuster Kyrgios Clash

  • Posted: Jun 30, 2022

Tsitsipas Sets Blockbuster Kyrgios Clash

Greek earns Tour-leading 42nd win of the season

Stefanos Tsitsipas set a blockbuster clash with Nick Kyrgios on Thursday when he cruised past Jordan Thompson 6-2, 6-3, 7-5 to reach the third round at Wimbledon for just the second time.

The Greek looked sharp throughout his two-hour and four-minute clash against Thompson on Court 1, opening his shoulders to dictate from the baseline. The fourth seed, who is making his fifth appearance at Wimbledon, struck 29 winners and broke the Australian six times to improve to 2-0 in their ATP Head2Head series.

“It was a great match today. I got the crowd involved and even though I am not a Brit, I really felt the love from the crowd and that pushed me,” Tsitsipas said in his on-court interview.

“Last year was a completely different story [compared] to this year,” he added. “I wasn’t really that involved with [my movement] behind the ball. It is great to see that evolution this year. I feel grass suites my game perfectly. I am happy when I see the level of tennis I played today. As long as everything works, I am happy to see where that will lead me.”

ATP WTA Live App

Tsitsipas clinched his first grass-court title in Mallorca last week and has quickly found his feet in London following the short journey from Spain. His victory over Thompson means he now holds an 8-2 record on the surface this season, having won just eight tour-level matches on grass before 2022.

The World No. 5 has captured a Tour-leading 42 wins this season and will next play Australian Kyrgios after the six-time tour-level titlist downed Filip Krajinovic in straight sets. Kyrgios holds a 3-1 lead over Tsitsipas, having won their most recent match on grass in Halle earlier this month.

“I feel that there isn’t a single person here who doesn’t know Nick. We have played each other and had great matches against each other in many tour-level matches,” Tsitsipas said as he looked ahead to his clash against Kyrgios. “I have great respect for his game, that he can utilise his talents. Really fight when he really wants to. It is going to be a challenging one on grass. He is a big opponent on this surface.”

Under the roof on Court 1, Tsitsipas quickly gained control, demonstrating great footwork to dictate on his forehand. The Greek was strong off that wing throughout, while he showcased great touch at times up at net to outmanoeuvre Thompson. Following a commanding first two sets, Tsitsipas remained patient in the third set, gaining the decisive break in the 12th game to seal victory.

Tsitsipas’ best performance at Wimbledon came in 2018, when he reached the fourth round. The 23-year-old, who lost to Frances Tiafoe in the first round in 2021, is now 5-4 at SW19.

World No. 76 Thompson was aiming to advance to the third round for the second time, having reached that stage 12 months ago. Earlier this month, he captured the ATP Challenger Tour title in Surbiton, while he reached the championship match at Nottingham.

Source link

Coach Roig On Nadal’s Wimbledon Return

  • Posted: Jun 30, 2022

Coach Roig On Nadal’s Wimbledon Return

Spanish coach analyses Nadal’s chances in London

After beating Francisco Cerundolo in the first round of Wimbledon, his first match on grass for three years, Rafael Nadal retreated to the courts of Aorangi Park for a one-hour session to prepare for his next outing at the tournament; a second-round clash with Ricardas Berankis.

Accompanied by Francis Roig and Marc Lopez, two of his coaches, the 22-time Grand Slam champion continued working on his transition to the surface, with one eye on the challenges that await him at the All England Tennis Club.

You May Also Like:

Day 4 Preview: Nadal, Tsitsipas Return After Early Escapes

At 36 years of age and having captured his 14th Roland Garros crown, Nadal underwent two pulsed radiofrequency sessions in an effort to combat Muller-Weiss syndrome, a dysplasia of the tarsal navicular he has suffered from since 2005 in his left foot.

He did so with a clear goal: to continue playing, to keep having chances, to fight to extend one of the greatest careers in the history of the sport. And, of course, to return to Wimbledon, a place that holds a special place in his career.

“That tells me that he really wanted to play on grass again because his game was in great shape,” Roig told ATPTour.com in London. “He had a monkey on his back. Obviously, as long as he is competing for Grand Slams he’ll keep playing. He enjoys it and he likes competing.

“Of course, his intensity and desire continue to surprise me. His professionalism in training and how quickly he recovers his level after being injured. I’ve been seeing it since he was little, but the way he overcomes adversity… it hasn’t been affected by age.”

<a href='https://www.atptour.com/en/players/rafael-nadal/n409/overview'>Rafael Nadal</a>
Photo Credit: GLYN KIRK/AFP via Getty Images
It is no surprise that Nadal wanted to compete at The All England Lawn Tennis Club again. The World No. 4 played in five consecutive finals at SW19 from 2006 to 2011, winning titles in 2008 and 2010.

“He had a few years when he didn’t play well on grass, but if he’s playing well, there are fewer opponents that can beat him on grass than on hard courts,” admitted Roig. “Likewise, I think he’s closer to Djokovic on this surface than on hard courts. Both are still difficult, and taking into account that he is the favourite, there is more chance of beating him here.

“There is no choice but to be aggressive at certain times, and that helps him. Against Federer he was too conservative last time, in 2019. I told him ‘If Federer hits four flat backhands at you in a row we won’t win, but if you make him cut the ball… you have a chance of winning.”

ATP WTA Live App

Nadal has now started out on that road to victory, opening with a hard-fought four-set win over Argentine Cerundolo on Tuesday.

“After three years without playing on grass, he took the lead without playing great tennis,” explained Roig. “In the second set, he played better, doing more damage with the ball. At a break up, he lost control of the match, lost the third, and the fourth was difficult. But after three years without playing on grass, and in a first round, it’s fine.”

For that reason, Nadal is now focused on reaffirming his muscle memory for the surface, which will help him when the moment of truth arrives.

“There’s a long way to go, but it will come from match situations,” offered Roig. “For example, hitting the ball softly and trusting that it will do what you want. Choosing which kind of shots you can attack. Having better touch and making the points as short as possible. Turning to the right and being able to play to the opponent’s backhand. A little bit of everything, but I’m sure he will gradually fine-tune it all.”

Source link

Molcan On Vajda: 'It Is Amazing To Work With Him'

  • Posted: Jun 30, 2022

Molcan On Vajda: ‘It Is Amazing To Work With Him’

World No. 51 teamed with the Slovakian coach in May

When the opportunity to work with Marian Vajda arose, Alex Molcan pounced.

At the end of last season, Vajda’s longterm partnership with Novak Djokovic came to an end. During their 15 years together, the pair captured 85 tour-level titles, while the Slovakian earned the ATP Coach of the Year award in 2018.

With one of the most impressive resumés on Tour, demand for Vajda was high. However, due to his Slovakian roots, Molcan had an edge and with a bit of luck, their partnership was born.

“It was pretty lucky how it came about,” Molcan told ATPTour.com. “When I heard that he was finished with Djokovic, we started to speak about things. At the start, it was just speaking about a few things. Then we met again and again and now we are working together, alongside my other coach Karol Beck. It was pretty lucky, but I am really happy and excited that this has happened.”

 
 

A post shared by alexmolcan (@alexmolcan)

Since teaming in May, Molcan has continued his impressive development. The 24-year-old enjoyed a run to his second tour-level final in Lyon, while he defeated Pedro Martinez on his Wimbledon debut to set a second-round meeting against American Marcos Giron.

“It is amazing to work with him,” Molcan said. “There are so many things that he knows, so he can tell me lots. He is an incredible coach and extremely professional. We are all learning from him.”

For Molcan’s development, Vajda’s experience and know-how are invaluable. However, the World No. 51 revealed that despite his success, the Slovakian coach is also learning from him and Beck as they look to bounce off each other and form a formidable team.

“Even though he was with Djokovic before, he can learn new things. He won’t say he is the best coach. He still has his feet on the ground,” Molcan said. “He is a really cool person. He is funny and extremely professional in terms of everything to do with tennis. The atmosphere within the team is working.

“He jumped on the train that was already on the way. We are working on specific things. We aren’t doing something completely different. I need to understand what he wants from me and how to execute it in matches. Both Marian and Karol are great at communicating, making it easier for me to understand. I am asking him about stuff, but he is not trying to make me play like Novak, it is about being myself.”

ATP WTA Live App

Away from the court, the relationship has been just as strong, with Vajda slotting comfortably into the setup.

“We have a lot of fun together. We are playing games. We are all very competitive. We played a fun game of guessing who I would play in the first round and it is really incredible as he correctly guessed I would play Martinez. We have a lot of fun and the atmosphere is incredible,” the 24-year-old said.

Molcan is aiming to break new ground this week at Wimbledon, where he is aiming to reach the second week at a major for the first time. However, with their partnership in the early stages, the Slovakian is focusing on the bigger picture as he aims to continue his climb up the Pepperstone ATP Rankings.

“We have certain goals and we are just trying to improve my game,” said Molcan, who is 17-11 on the season after reaching the second round at SW19. “I am trying to improve my mentality because tennis is not an easy sport. It is tough out there. I want to improve many things. It keeps me motivated because I still feel I can hit my groundstrokes better and then I will be a better player. We are working hard and I feel it will be a good rest of the season.”

Source link

De Minaur Dishes On Grass Courts, Why He'd Like To Play McEnroe

  • Posted: Jun 30, 2022

De Minaur Dishes On Grass Courts, Why He’d Like To Play McEnroe

Australian builds his perfect grass-court player

When the grass arrives, Alex de Minaur flourishes.

The Australian has soared to success on the English lawns in recent years, capturing the title at the Rothesay International in Eastbourne in 2021, before reaching the semi-finals at the ATP 250 event again last week.

Now, the World No. 27 is hoping for a big run at Wimbledon, where he will play home favourite Jack Draper on Thursday in the second round.

“I think the grass swing is an exciting part of the year. It is a part of the season I am always looking forward to,” De Minaur told ATPTour.com. “It is a short one, so you have to be ready for it. Whenever it comes along, it is really exciting.

“It is a surface that complements my game a fair bit. I like trying to dictate on the grass. You get a lot of help from the court, so you can try and dictate a bit more and then I try and use my movement more. I think it complements my game well with these combinations.”

When you watch De Minaur compete, his speed and agility stand out. Last year in Eastbourne, the 23-year-old won a memorable point against Soonwoo Kwon, showcasing his lightning pace as he covered every blade of grass in an all-action rally.

For De Minaur, his grass-court agility is an aspect he has worked on over the years.

“Becoming faster is something I put a lot of work in during the early days,” De Minaur said. “Until I was able to grow into my body, I wasn’t the quickest guy out there. It was a lot of work that we put in and now I just continue to work on my speed. It is a strong part [of my game].

“The movement is also completely different on grass compared to clay. You have to trust yourself with shorter steps. Stay low and in the first couple of days you feel it in your quads and even in your lower back because you are bending down a lot. On clay, everything bounces higher, you have more time. On grass, you have to be shorter and more precise. I have worked on my agility. You want to do as much as you can in those first couple of steps to push out of the corners and I think I can do that well on grass.”

In his opening match at Wimbledon on Tuesday, the 23-year-old demonstrated his flexibility, moving past Hugo Dellien in straight sets. With #NextGenATP Draper next up, the 19th seed is looking to write more historic moments into his grass-court journey that started more than 15 years ago.

“I remember I started playing on grass when I was eight. It was a situation where I said to myself that I would love this surface from the get-go,” De Minaur said. “Mentally, I always loved the grass when growing up, so I have convinced myself I am always going to play well on the grass. I always enjoy this part of the year.”

ATP WTA Live App

Alongside playing, De Minaur has also enjoyed watching his rivals compete on the surface. The Australian, who loves spending time in coffee shops and parks when in England, created his “perfect” grass-court player, while he revealed the former legend he would have liked to have faced on the surface.

“For the serve, I’d go with Nick [Kyrgios]. Forehand would be [Juan Martin] del Potro. Backhand, probably Novak [Djokovic]. Slice, Roger [Federer] and volley I’d go with Stefan [Edberg] to have something different,” De Minaur said.

”I would have loved to play against some of the older generations — like John McEnroe — just to see the contrast in style and see how tennis has evolved and changed,” he added. “To see how that prime era would match up against my generation.”

For De Minaur, he must stay in the present. If he can overcome home favourite Draper, he will match his 2018 run at The Championships. However, with the 20-year-old Briton holding a 31-8 record across all levels this season, the task will be far from straightforward in what could be a thrilling second-round encounter.

Source link